NextPharmaJob.com is dedicated to putting job seekers looking for pharmaceutical industry jobs in touch with recruiters and employers.
Reporting the VP Business Development, International you will be responsible for the identification, negotiation and securing of new client relationships within your region and portfolio of companies. You will also serve as overall Account relationship manager and strategic business partner for established account(s), in liaison with senior and operational Management.
You will be responsible for developing and expanding new business opportunities within allocated account(s) to include developing and overseeing the sales strategy for assigned clients, managing the sales process and coordinating with Project Management to ensure client satisfaction. The focus will be on a given territory but with the scope of work to incorporate other European markets and to work as a key member of the business development team.
Having recently evolved to become Theorem Clinical Research, the company is looking to develop a unified global business development structure and approach. Theorem Clinical Research are looking to further enhance the calibre of the business development team through the hire of experienced, focused and exceptional Senior Account Directors and Account Directors who will lead, manage, motivate and mentor BD teams.
We are seeking individuals with strong networks and expertise, coupled to an impressive track record of success within one or more of the following areas:
- Blue chip pharmaceutical clients
- Emerging and developing medium and small pharmaceutical clients
- Biotechnology clients
- Geographical expertise within the UK / Benelux / Scandinavia regions
- Geographical expertise within the German / Swiss / Southern Europe regions
Reporting to the Vice President Business Development, International, the Senior Account Director will be responsible for the identification, procurement and client management for allocated business in Europe. As well as being responsible for nurturing relationships with and securing business from allocated customer accounts, you will proactively identify and qualify new potential clients, develop relationships with decision makers and stakeholders and obtain business from them. This will involve:
- Managing the complete sales cycle from cold calling to negotiating and closing the sale
- Acting as point of contact to the client
- Responding to client requests
- Assisting in the preparation and review of proposal (including FTE and financial estimates)
- Negotiating budgets, contracts, and assisting in the negotiation of ‘out of scopes’ as appropriate.
You will be expected to develop a comprehensive understanding of Theorem Clinical Research’s full portfolio of products and services arming you with the means to cross-sell and react appropriately to client needs.
Additional to this you will play a key role in the management and development of a business development / account management team in your region(s) and disciplines. This will involve:
- Ownership and management of a team target.
- Responsibility for the training, development, mentorship and direction of the team.
- Line management for more junior team members.
- Assigning clients and accounts as appropriate.
- Input into the European / Global BD approach and strategy.
- Ability to drive sales, profitability and at all times maintain and develop the Theorem Clinical Research brand and culture.
- Actively prospect and leverage potential new business opportunities within specified clients.
- Cultivate strong, long-term relationships with key decision-makers within accounts and develops deep knowledge of the account organisations.
- Identify and analyse potential opportunities and develop detailed business plans and sales strategies for each customer in liaison with CRU Management. Monitor actions and results against plans.
- Identify and respond to client needs in order to define potential Theorem Clinical Research opportunities. Ensure appropriate strategy and solution is proposed to the client.
- Work with Project Directors and Function Managers to identify most appropriate sales team and prepare presentation. Educate team participants in client culture, operational needs, methods and sales techniques required to close the sale.
- Lead the entire sales process, including identifying the appropriate team for pitch and preparing and leading the sales presentation.
- Coordinate with the Proposal Development Group (PDG) to develop proposal and CRU Management to finalise strategy and pricing.
- Handle any follow-ups related to the sales and facilitates completion of contractual documents.
- Ensure appropriate hand-off to project team by transferring knowledge regarding client needs and expectations.
- Share account strategies and sales plans with Project Directors and Project Managers.
- Coordinate with Project Managers, Project Directors and CRU Management to escalate and quickly address client issues and concerns.
- Seek input from Project Managers and Project Directors as required to proactively address Changes In Scope (CIS), new opportunities or customer dissatisfaction.
- Work with Project Managers, Project Directors and CRU Management to ensure CIS’s are appropriately negotiated with the client.
- Maintain high visibility within client organisations.
- Monitor client satisfaction through regular formal and informal surveys.
- Coordinate with Project Managers and Project Directors to ensure the needs of the client are being met and address any concerns and issues in a timely manner.
- Advanced degree in business or scientific discipline is preferred but not mandatory.
- Relevant scientific / medical / commercial qualifications.
- Former experience in life sciences: Pharma, biotech, device, or consulting. Clinical Research experience is critical, ideally from an operational and business development perspective.
- Demonstrable competency in sales or business development preferably for a Contract Research Organisation or company providing Phase II/III services to the healthcare industry.
- An established network within the “region” pharmaceutical and biotechnology marketplace would be desirable.
- Fluent written and spoken English and local market language skills.
- A solid understanding of the clinical process (Phase II - III) coupled with a desire to develop existing knowledge.
- Proven track record of successful business development and strong negotiation skills required.
- Broad commercial experience and exposure to developing and closing significant deals and major accounts.
- Solid understanding of the CRO sector and drug development.
- Desire to build a career in sales and sales management.
- Relish the challenge of identifying and building new relationships, internally and externally.
- Credibility in both a Clinical and Commercial environment.
- Strategic business awareness and results orientation.
- A record of demonstrable personal achievement.
- Team player with outstanding inter-personal skills, negotiation skills and organisational skills.
- Ability to work closely both with commercial and operational teams to ensure increased revenue, profitability and quality of deliverables to clients.
- Knowledge of FDA regulated drug development process helpful.
- High-level skills in Microsoft PowerPoint.
- Self-motivated with a desire for success.
- “Hands on” and “can do attitude”.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, personal selling skills and ability to “think on your feet”.
- Excellent stakeholder/relationship management. Comfortable with internal and external client relationships.
- Comfortable with managing and being managed against financial targets.
- Clear ability to lead, manage, mentor and motivate others.
- Highly credible in both a Clinical and Commercial environment.
- Experience of working within dynamic and growing environments.
- The ability to think both analytically and creatively and to use your initiative.
- Desire and ability to build and sell the business.
- Open and transparent working style.
- Excellent prioritisation and organisation skills.
- Highly results focused.
- International and cultural awareness.
- Consultative and flexible approach.
- Approachable, personable and supportive of others.
- Team player capable of working independently and with others.
- Ability to juggle a complex and heavy workload and prioritise as appropriate.
- Strong decision making ability with the “courage of your convictions”.
- Thrives under pressure while maintaining a high level of personal and professional integrity.
- Clear desire and ambition for success, comfortable making decisions and prepared to make the personal commitment to ensure success.
- Strong detail orientation and an ability to work creatively in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent planning/organisational skills and ability to prioritise and multitask.
- Results orientated.
- Ensure written communications are accurate and consistent. Consistently follows up on issues in a timely manner.
- Listen carefully and ask questions when necessary to ensure understanding.
- Conveys information in a clear, concise, and accurate manner.
- Display an open and flexible attitude, with a desire to support others and genuinely operate within a team structure and a team player.
- Seek input from others when faced with a difficult situation. Make sound decisions within the scope of responsibility. Focus on resolving problems.
- Demonstrate leadership skills. Maintain positive relationships with clients and colleagues.
- Demonstrate honesty and integrity in dealing with others. Works effectively with different types of people.
- Portrays sound knowledge of clinical research and clinical development processes.
- Demonstrates professionalism and presents a positive image of Theorem Clinical Research. Listens to and then demonstrates an understanding the customer’s needs before presenting a solution.
- Ability to effectively handle difficult and complex customer situations. Maintains a high energy level when interacting with customers to find a creative solution.
- Willingness to learn and build upon your existing knowledge of drug development.
- Clear and presentable understanding of the long terms needs within clinical research as well as the customers’ immediate and short term resource requirements.
- Maintains positive relationships with clients and colleagues. Demonstrates honesty and integrity in dealing with others. Works effectively with different types of people. Accepts and applies constructive feedback.
- Seeks input from others when appropriate. Makes sound decisions within the scope of responsibility. Focuses on resolving problems.
- Demonstrates commitment, dedication, cooperation, positive behaviour, adaptability and flexibility with changes in responsibilities and duties.
Package - dependent upon location:
Click to view the full job spec
- Base salary commensurate with experience
- Life Assurance of 4 x base salary
- Long Term Disability Insurance – up to 2 years of salary
- Private Medical insurance for employee and family, company funded
- Membership of Group Personal Pension Scheme - Company contribution to match employee contribution at 2.5% or 5% contribution
- Car Allowance £510.00 per month
- Company funded fuel for business and private mileage within the UK
- Holiday 25 days per annum
- Hours 9.00 to 5.30 i.e. 7.5 hours per day 37.5 hour week
- Additional flexible benefits
- The package is negotiable, based upon the level of experience of the individual.
- The package will also vary, dependent upon location and standard country specific benefits.
Posted: 27/07/2012 | NPJ Ref: 84457